Thursday 4 February 2010

Thoughts

This week has been a tough one for me - 3 days, 3 funerals all very different, all special in their own way and all paying tribute to people who have achieved so much in their lives. Some of those achievements spread over many years and in the case of Matt spread over a short life.

This week was my first for flying solo in taking funerals and although tough, my first one being of a very special young man. I feel honoured and priviledged that my friend asked me to take the funeral for her son, and indeed began to understand the trust placed in me and my faith to take on such a task. Standing side by side with someone in their grief and loss is a priviledge, something I had not understood until recent months but through all of this we grow and develop and learn something of God's great love for each one of us and how important it is to share our faith in any way we can. The touch of a hand, the comforting arm, the prayers offered the cup of tea offered, the listening ear are valuable skills that we can all offer to ease the suffering and distress of those around us.

We are reminded that all life is precious to God and that we should all endeavour to ensure that we take every opportunity to share and show the love of God and to celebrate life with each other.

My prayers this week are for all those who have lost a loved one and all those who face illness and distress in any way. May you know the peace of God in your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment